4:00PM

CHAIRMAN STEELE: This is taking me back. My grandma used to have these. We will call the meeting to order. Can we start with the disclosures.

>>: This meeting is being recorded. By remaining here, you consent. This is a public meeting. Conversations are not visible to people on the phone and who are unable to participate. The chat function is limited to tech assistance. No response or forwarding of public comments.

If members would like to provide comment, please do so during the public comment period for that item or during the general public comment period.

Cart services are available. Click on the stream text link in the chat. Scroll to reactions. You will see the raise hand feature. Scroll to more. You will see a drop down menu.

Telephone dial-in information will be provided.

You may press star nine to raise your hand. Star six to unmute. For Spanish, click on the globe. Public comments are to be submitted. If they are to be reviewed, it should be submitted before 5:00 PM the day before.

Written comments after 5:00 PM the day before through the end to have meeting will be made part of the public record for

the meeting. Advisory members may not have the chance to review those comments prior to acting on an item. This ends the reading of the disclosures.

CHAIRMAN STEELE: Thank you. Can we take roll?

MEMBER CASTILLO: Present.

MEMBER CRUNK: Present.

MEMBER CYRUS-FRANKLIN: Present.

MEMBER EARLEY: Present.

>>: Present.

>>: Present.

>>: Present.

MEMBER SCHOONOVER: Present.

>>: Present.

>>: Present.

CHAIRMAN STEELE: Present.

>>: Present.

>>: Present.

>>: Present.

>>: We 15. Back to you.

CHAIRMAN STEELE: Thank you very much. I want to start today it speaks to me each week this week has been heavier as we do the land acknowledgment. What it begins with. I want to recognize those whose lands we reside. The original caretakers. We take on that responsibility. They still live and thrive among

us. The [FOREIGN LANGUAGE] peoples. Those who are still here among us doing great work with us we left us and honor the land we call LA county.

Community agreements. Can we bring them up? Be respectful of diverse voices. Remain open minded. Can

- >>: Be mindful of the power dynamics and the historical disenfranchisement. Defer to community throughout this process.
- >>: Be mindful of the diverse audiences. Speak with clarity.
 - >>: Be collaborative.
 - >>: Challenge the idea, not the person.
- >>: Remember why we are here. Low income communities and so on.
 - >>: Defer to community.
 - >>: Transparency and follow through.
 - >>: Be an active participant.
 - >>: Let equity the lead way. Make spaces for youth voices.
 - >>: Allow community members to finish their sentence.
- >>: Review community agreements before every meeting. Amend as needed.
- >>: Begin meetings with the land acknowledgment statement respecting the people of the land we now call LA county. The minutes from our last meeting.
 - >>: I will second.

CHAIRMAN STEELE: Any adjustments?

>>: This commences the public comment period. It will be one money per person. If you would like to provide public comment, use the raise hand feature now. We will call on you in the order your hand was raised. State your name for the minutes before beginning. For those on the phone, dial star nine to raise your hand.

We will say your name or the last digits when it is your turn. Star six to unmute. When accessing Zoom, scroll to more. We will now start public comments for meeting minutes from the 61 meeting. Moving online. Please unmute.

>>: That is our interpreter. I am trying to communicate with him through the chat. Give me Scott. Dial star six to unmute.

>>: Question. For the June 1st meeting. We will have another for other comments.

CHAIRMAN STEELE: Can we move to vote?

>>: We didn't have a presentation. It gives the assumption as if it did occur.

CHAIRMAN STEELE: We didn't review the process. Did the list presentation get moved? Yes.

MEMBER LEWIS: Those should be under miscellaneous. Can we move to the vote?

>>: Aye.

MEMBER CASTILLO: Abstain.

MEMBER CRUNK: Aye.

MEMBER EARLEY: Aye.

>>: Aye.

MEMBER LEWIS: Aye.

>>: Aye.

MEMBER SCHOONOVER: Abstain.

>>: Abstain.

>>: Aye.

CHAIRMAN STEELE: Aye.

>>: Aye.

>>: Aye.

>>: Aye.

>>: We have 13 yes. Three abstain.

CHAIRMAN STEELE: Meat and potatoes. This has been a very interesting week this week. I am excited to get into some discussions for a few of the items here. I want to start with the year three report in our last meeting. Some requests around where we were with the budgetary process and where the report was as well.

We want to make sure there was access to the public. There has been an ongoing dialogue. The changes of name. We took all the credentials off. Minor changes. This is what is being turned in. I was having a conversation today on this. We will talk

about some other things as far as the budgetary process is concerned.

I will deal with that. Anyone have additional thoughts of questions about the report?

>>: Can you confirm when it was submitted?

>>: Now.

>>: Year three spending plan. An attachment when submitted with the board letter. There was a misunderstanding regarding the spending plan. It was my understanding that the two recommendations were part of the tier two plan as well. Sorry, tier one. In addition to the 100 million. I was corrected to find out they are not.

We have to go backwards and do some of the work we did to make sure the plan accurately reflects what you want it to.

The completed report will be attached to the finalized board letter and spending plan. We did an approved 100 million and then 88.3. The additional concepts for the stipends and flex fund were included. When we did the tier 1 and 2, those were not included. When JCOD went through the numbers, there was an assumption they would include it in both sections. When it was brought back, we dug it through. They were not calculated in the number.

We will probably have to move things around. We were at 89.7. That was not what was approved. Here is what was.

MEMBER LEWIS: I am unclear on what you are saying.

CHAIRMAN STEELE: Nothing to agendize. The changes were made. Do you understand what I am saying? No later than Tuesday. Everything will be sent with the whole package. This came up today. With the original submission, there was a question about why we were over. Why the original advisory committee was over. That is where that came from.

CHAIRMAN STEELE: They were asking me. We went through the numbers. You are adding these two.

MEMBER LEWIS: You would send the CEO an e-mail.

STUDENT: I can.

MEMBER LEWIS: For it to be fizzled, that is not okay. I think it is important because we went through the exercise, that you still submit it. It should go hand and hand. It needs to be formally submitted.

CHAIRMAN STEELE: Any additional thoughts?

>>: For the individuals represented by districts, SD is never defined in here.

CHAIRMAN STEELE: She is talking about the list.

>>: I assume it is page 2.

CHAIRMAN STEELE: It is a reduced version.

MEMBER LEWIS: Graphs are clear? Can we put page numbers on all the pages?

CHAIRMAN STEELE: Yes. I reduced the file size. I will give you a moment to go through it. You have to bear with me. I was trying to keep it consistent.

MEMBER LEWIS: It should be spelled out. UAII should be spelled out.

CHAIRMAN STEELE: Okay.

>>: There is an update to the name of organization due to merging of councils. We are not southwest regional. Now southwest mountain states. Southwest mountain states regional council. Mountain state region.

CHAIRMAN STEELE: Header is on the previous page. Overview. Sections of the overview. You are talking about two? The period. I got you.

>>: I think it is important to name the coalition in the history. It says a coalition of community organizations. I think it is important to name it.

CHAIRMAN STEELE: On the picture. Your team should have the large file and smaller reduced file. I will send you the large file. It is justified. It is us going through it. We voted on it before. The main thing, making sure it is open to public to view it as well.

The reimagine LA coalition. Also, Black Lives Matter.

Trying to capture everyone. A lot of people are involved with the movement.

>>: Organizations that you named signed on to be the steering for the coalition.

CHAIRMAN STEELE: I made some changes based off what you are all saying. I will download this piece. I will send it off. This will be the version. I will send it on behalf of the committee to the CEO. They have a version that is coming from us. Also attached to the board letter. Any questions before we move on? We will move on to the next item.

If you remember last week, we had a presentation. The meetings have been tough. I think we have a very clear point of view as to the resources. The feedback we keep getting is not in alignment with the larger version.

The idea that we need to make sure the world and ground is prepared. You take the analysis. The people in the jails. The idea of creating the beds. Understood. ODR has a large role to play with that.

They gave us some examples of the different partnerships they are developing to do that. When you look at the numbers, we are not there. The beds are the most expensive that you would create. It was rigorous and spirited. We were having a conversation to come up with some alternative ideas to take it to the next level.

Let us get together and have a deeper conversation. The lived experience piece not being part of a conversation there is

a lot still to do. We can get to the meeting on Monday. There was an update. Trying to learn more about the numbers.

The budget was having discussions to prepare the grounds to move dollars to other entities, the unspent dollars, anyone here can provide context. JCOD was just informing us. Other dollars moved to other departments. The same vein of trying to get the beds. The pressure is letting us move quickly. That pressure is a part of why we are moving in this direction to do that. Once we learn the information and where this is going, I wanted to bring this up.

It is small. Budget took this recommendation to safety cluster. They are suggesting moving \$27.4 million to the department of health services. 1.3 million to the public defender. The frustration is twofold. The idea of moving these funds is happening. No one talked to us about it.

We have the responsibility. One is, yes the allocation of the funds. It is the stewardship. We can come up with recommendations. It is hard to do that. A dangerous precedent is set. There is a difference on what these dollars are supposed to be used for. 42 million to the closure of the jail. There is a conversation about what that means.

Their ability and inability to do some of that. The power they do or don't have. That is understandable. I just feel like I am frustrated by this being the case. Being brought to the

justice deputies to make decisions. This idea that we are in a unique space. There is community representation. People with lived experience. This is information we learned on Monday. Cluster meeting was on Wednesday. Now, I am supposed to get it to the budget meeting so they can tell us what is what.

I don't know if they were going to. That is the framing of the conversation. I would love to hear your thoughts. They are not here today.

>>: They were unable to come. They are finalizing the debudget. It gets reviewed on the 26th. They are still working on that. We are still working to get them here to have that conversation.

MEMBER LEWIS: This is not an actionable item. I think we need a larger discussion with the CEOs office about process.

While I am proud of the work that has been done and there has been process, the fact that the dollars add up to 900 million is amazing. At the same time, we dug into how this happened for the delegation. It feels like it is business as usual.

The complete opposite of the reason we have all committed so much time. We are not a governing body. I don't want to have a specific conversation only. It will occur because of all the delays. We have a commitment to interact and acknowledge our existence and the work we have done. That is the next step. They will fuck us on this. We need a larger conversation.

CHAIRMAN STEELE: I feel you. I agree with you. That is why
I started with we were not engaged at all. It is written for us
to be engaged. We need a responsibility, the accountability of
those dollars. If it will happen here, and it goes without being
talked about about how this will go, this will keep happening.

MEMBER LEWIS: We still, it was tough. I think when the presentation comes, we need to understand. We just care about making sure the money goes towards decarceration. I see how the shift will do it. No one is speaking to us from that lens. When the presentation comes, about what this equates to.

I understand that it is shameful, the number of people with severe mental illness that our jails hold. I understand the bulk is going towards that. At the same time, I want to see JCID, that people not severely mentally ill also have a pathway. A strategy to have a pathway for those people as well. I understand the reasons for that. The presentation needs to be clear.

We don't appreciate being ignored. Once we move past that, tell us how the shifts equate. I think it does. It needs to be presented. We moved it. It does it in these ways. Not everyone listening understands that. That will be helpful. We need to talk about process. I understand the intention. I think it will be accomplished. I don't think it will explain that way.

>>: Let us say we all understand it. It all makes sense. Why didn't you just tell us upfront? Having dealt with the county, I represent 55,000 workers. I have been in this situation before. Issues with them.

Sometimes it is hard to explain why they act the way they act. Sometimes they don't do it intentionally. How it looks is really poor. They should be accountable. We had to do this because of X, Y, and Z. Be upfront right now.

>>: This is an interesting conversation and a necessary one. I sit at a lot of tables. There is no respect. Nothing like feeling disrespected. Not respected. Then it starts to make one question their value. It is critically important that we have this conversation. I think it needs to be called out. It is disrespectful. It doesn't mean that, here is the deal, this ain't nothing new.

You understand? That is the problem. It seems to be a part of the culture that needs to be addressed for people to take a look at themselves and make the adjustment. We shouldn't tolerate it. It is called disrespect.

>>: I want to acknowledge that. I was not at a table making these decisions. It sucks we are in the room talking about this. It is not good. I think it will be important for us to come back to the process. I think we need to have clarity on that. There is probably a dialogue that will take place. It needs to happen.

On a go forward basis. There will be more unspent funds. What the exchange should be expected and are making decisions to solve problems.

- -- I do think that does in a sense disrespect the bodies power or opportunity to allocate the moneys in a way that makes sense from the perspective of the spirit of measure J.
 - >> DEREK STEELE: Indeed.
- >> That is what I will say and it wasn't my intent and I think something I could be more mindful of at least in my role and I am sure other county folks as well.
 - >> DEREK STEELE: Member Castillo and I will come to you member Williams.
- >> MEGAN CASTILLO: I think what was recommended is important and I went to the CEO budget for the upcoming fiscal year and it should be noted CFCI is the only budget entity by which board policy rolls over unspent funds from year to year and that is coming out of the CEO's office. That is why it is confusing and disheartening to know there is shifts that were not properly communicated to this particular body and to member Veronica's point. It is important that we just know how this is directly connected to jail

closure. At the end of the day people are still dyeing and I know if not all of you are aware there have been three deaths in the last week and all on the same day and it is important, we remain grounded in that and I don't know who is responsible for letting us know. But you are on notice unfortunately.

>> JOEY WILLIAMS: Thank you for your comments and I agree with what you said. Freedom and life are in the balance of this and it is disrespectful from the board. We have seen a lot of that over the last two years that I have been here and I believe if we take half of the budget that JCID has and gave to home boy industries they would have figured out how to close the jail last year. Or other folks in the room who met on a call found a way to close it down. It is just a continued pattern of misuse of funds of disrespect and folks making decisions b about people they have no clue how to serve. If we have any power or resource to get this and I believe we should do it and I appreciate the group who is able the to meet and talk about this and I hope the conversation happens. Like said last meeting we are going to celebrate June teenth on Monday and have 14,000 people incarcerated and using it as a place to house people with mental health issues and we realize people with mental health issues are not supposed to be incarcerated but are supposed to be treat and had served and if we have power or anything to exercise that to the best of our ability. It is a serious thing for anybody who has been incarcerated your life could end in a moment's notice. Not just the inmates but the detention officers there.

>> DEREK STEELE: You raise an important, bringing b back to several points. If there was a conversation and I know they are mired in the budget process thinking about this one. The year two tranche has a significant amount of money going to that direction and at the same time we celebrated and had this event with all of the community-based organizations to your point about home boy industries. 118 different organizations that and that was only 118 out of, what did they tell us? Over 200, 300 different organizations?

CFCI ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING

CAPTIONED BY TOTAL RECALL, www.yourcaptioner.com

This amount of money could open the door for. What is it that we can go back to that list

of how many of them are focusing on if you want to focus on beds and how many are

focusing on that and how many beds can we get if we lend the money to the community.

Knowing that ODR is going to get the additional funds on the back end for the amount of

money we put towards. If we talk, we can strategize together in a way that is going to

utilize these funds in new ways and I also make sure we are supporting a lot of the things

that already happened as well.

This is not a shot at all to the partners at the table. I think it is about the process

and also making sure we are directing the energy toward what is we are trying to do with

the dollars which is actually deincarcerate people. Please?

>> I wasn't familiar with what had happened and I was just listening to understand

it and I want to share as you describe the process as a department head it is not unique.

If we have unspent fund, it is, CEO is looking to see where dollars can be shift and had we

do develop a plan for unspent funds and sometimes the dialog is better than other time as

you are describing and I think this is a particularly tight budget year and my experience ss

less dialog than normally would be. I just want to highlight that as a framing and the

language that member Castillo highlighted and I wasn't familiar and I didn't realize that

language and that is critical language and it is saying this body is different than way we

normally operate.

>> DEREK STEELE: For sure.

>> VERONICA LEWIS: All I will say is I get that. And one of the county departments

sit at the table and came up with a plan to address a very serious potential issue if they

don't do something b about the men's central jail and I get that. This is different because

there is a p body in an advisory capacity and all of the effort that went into year one before

it went to 187, 40 percent of the money was given. So it is, it seems disingenuous for our

Page 16 of 37

county leadership to tout the community driven process and as soon as you can't find money elsewhere, not even have the courtesy to bring back to the community space publicly to talk about it and drive the effort. That is the issue. Disingenuous and I understand how it is going to accomplish the mission but there is a failure of messaging b about that and remember we have people at the table who don't work in these sectors and there is an attitude. I understand we are not governing and you don't have to tell the us anything. But in a space the country is looking or they are probably talking about our work only to when the rubber meet it is road not even have the courtesy to come and say this is not even for you to vote on, we want to get the input because this is the direction, we are going to move in to make sure we can accomplish. That is disingenuous and that is the frustration.

>> ROSA SOTO: I understand everyone's frustration that is expressed today and I concur with those feelings and I you also wonder is this an opportunity for education and growth, right? If you are saying that this isn't. It might be business as usual to some degree in a tight budget year and it could happen and we need to ensure we are expressing back to the CEO's office how different this body is and how we want the relationship to grow and we want to sustain this work. And I was talk to go chair Steel about what it means for us to set up meetings, are we guaranteed funding for next year and what are the realities of our structure and those are all things I think we can delegate to leadership to start engage in conversation so we are not left at list minute information try to go find out in other ways and not participating in a process and if we have to be proactive I think there is leadership here that can be proactive and we need to engage now.

I think, is there a solution to funding coming back and finding, there needs to be and I think we engage from that perspective and how do we fix this going forward and I understand when there is money in the coffer. We understand. We approved year three

budget and we don't know where year two money is in terms of being disseminate and had maybe there is a bridge in terms of timing and again, we have to engage that conversation because to assume that someone had pick it up it is not going to happen.

>> I think having clarity on the structure is an important piece here. I think if you take the example. And I think if you were to talk and there is probably no one here from JCIT. The work some of the money is going to spend is move some of the sickest people with mental illness out of the jails and one of the challenges with efface is they are not able to come out to lower level settings like the interim housing we funded in year two that lead to permanent housing and it is a good long term plan and to get people out quickly in the places in the jail where it is not a good treatment setting and no one wants folk with serious mental illness there. To move quicker we need more acute beds to move people to and work with the courts.

I think part of the mind set with the county and JCIT is to close men's central jail we need to move the sickest subset out and have path ways out. It doesn't justify or fix the process and I think we need to think about that. It was thought to be aligned and in the frame of solving the problem in front of us. These sorts offense things get missed if there is no structure in place the to ensure we are treating CFCI differently because of the body and the way we approach it.

>> I want to respond to something that was said I think we heard from JCIT about the number of strategies that need to be developed to the populations with a variety of different needs out of custody and we know there is a significant number of individual who is are in custody now with serious mental illness and there is significant amount of people who do not have it that need out of custody and it is developing the path ways so the people can get out and the people who have the ability that is available and they can use the resources and rely on them.

>> REBA STEVENS: I am happy you said that is one area and I will say out loud because I want to make sure it is on the record. The mild to moderate is a population we don't talk enough about and I think it is important to clearly understand that when you are challenged and that is not being addressed it exacerbates. And it positions us to perhaps finds drugs and alcohol. Or find unhealthy relationships. Or start doing some criminal activity that can place us in jail again and again and again. I don't when and where and how. But it is critically important. I will be honest with you. I am, I have is the greatest respect for the department of health services. And I you don't think it is so much about what is going to happen with those dollars. As much as it was stated earlier from cochair Lewis around the process and also about respect. Respecting us as a body and I do want to be a thought to remember to remember. To remember. To remember. The mild to moderate so that population is given an opportunity to live and thrive in their lives.

>> DEREK STEELE: I think to that end a third piece of this. The first one is the process and having the conversation about that and then how was, tell us how these ideas that are presented get us to deincarceration. With the way we do this process and I am thinking of the TPA. The data that came out just on the grants we provided. Verses the ones we didn't. But even knowing what the ones that didn't get it do and how, you know, the county has kind of an insular process of the regular vendors that they are always working with and I don't know how much time you all get to study what is happening in the landscape and we by way of the nature of having the TPA do have a touch point that is beyond the norm. Right?

I think a third piece could be coming one an alternative strategy about the information we do have about what could possibly be tone in an alternative way for the mild to moderate population and even to the more acute population as well. What is already out there that the community can bring to the table as part of the solution so we

CFCI ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING 6/15/2023

CAPTIONED BY TOTAL RECALL, www.yourcaptioner.com

can bring those solutions to the table. They are CFCI dollars any way. Even though they are moved somewhere else away from JCIT and we have accountability there to bring energy to the spaces as well. T.

- >> Who decides how we prioritize that right? That is the idea.
- >> VERONICA LEWIS: Thank you for taking a little of the heat and acknowledgment where steps may have been missed and I don't think it is about the questioning of the process but thank you for responding in the way you did.
- >> DEREK STEELE: I would ask the JCOD team to get with amity and figure out what that looks like to be able the to use the data we have in that way so when we do bring budget to the table, we can have a robust discussion on all parts and not just budget but also someone from the CEO's office to talk about process. As member Castillo articulated there are some roles and responsibilities of how we are supposed to be engaging in the process and it was done purposely that gives the same energy of ECC. We get to put in practice some of the things happening in the other spaces. I appreciate it. Anyone else want to add to the conversation on this?
- >> JOEY WILLIAMS: I will add if you are here representing a supervisor's office you let them know that.
- >> DEREK STEELE: I will make note of that. I have a meeting with SD 2 and 3 as well. And I would love to link up with you to have the conversation together. And, yes, representatives of the other spaces if you all want to carry the message ins those spaces that will be amazing and I should also say, you know, the budget meetings are happening with the board and I know member Castillo and reimagine LA and the work they are doing.
- >> Reimagine LA hosted what I like the to call a training on the budget and it was amazing and it was well attended and it was very thoughtful. But it went beyond just the budget and it also introduced you to our, perhaps, um, helped one to understand it is

importance of showing up, you know to exercise public comment and what that looks like. It was, you know, kudos to you Megan and the entire reimagine LA for the great work that you did last night. Roughly about an hour and a half and it was well worth it. It was well worth it and I you are asking for more. More often. Even other month if possible and not quarterly. Thank you.

>> DEREK STEELE: For sure. These are public spaces and public meetings for us to be able to address. Thank you very much for that energy, everybody. Yes. Please?

>> [Away from microphone]. The idea people need services in order to get out when they continue to be traumatized in and I really, I know we done to have sheriff. We don't have the DA. We don't have a public defender. These are entities to look at the component. We are waiting and sitting for something to happen.

>> DEREK STEELE: I am glad we raised that. That was a question I am asking myself and listening to the JCIT presentation. Who has the power to hold that accountable? I mean, you know, I, it has been made clear to me this is not the space. But where is that? I know that, there is the idea of not having the carceral system have access to these dollars. Or even, I don't know about the process when it was a decision made about CFCI. Can somebody give me clarification? I don't know in that part why is justice not a part of, or some accountability measures towards justice as a part of this body. What do we do? You know what I mean? How are we able to hold them accountable? I am asking because I don't know.

>> MICHELLE FUENTES-MIRANDA: I think we can make recommendations and talking about the process and we need the o bring clarity to the process and it is a starting point. Even if it is not around CFCI dollars but as county departments face certain challenges and let me go to the CFCI committee and how can we be partners together in that. I think that, I am excited b about CFCI and everything that is accomplished and we

CFCI ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING 6/15/2023

CAPTIONED BY TOTAL RECALL, www.yourcaptioner.com

have accomplished. And I am excited about where it goes and upset about what you shared. But I am more excited about the opportunity that gets to come from it. Because it is all of the things that we don't know that we can't address that is what scares me.

Seeing this happen out of year one we expected some bumps in the road and we know there is a way that the county is operated. And we sit here because we are trying to go influence change in that space. This is a beautiful place we are at. We are discussing altogether in a unified way. Thank you.

- >> DEREK STEELE: For sure.
- >> REBA STEVENS: Do out remember during the meeting they talked about CBT.

 Cognitive behavioral therapy and I was shocked.
 - >> DEREK STEELE: Can you reference what meeting.

>> REBA STEVENS: The safety cluster meeting and during the budget process they talked about spa four. But specified Hollywood and spa seven and it seemed broad. Why is it important to me? We talk about the mild to moderate. That is a population that would benefit from cognitive behavioral therapy. Not for the community not to know about it and while we are making recommendations it would be thoughtful. Imagine it is used in the jail or piloted that way and working in conjunction with the work we are doing here or being informed about it to also help guide and direct because in my community in spa six I see a great need for those types of services and it is, it has been removed from our, I don't know what it has been with the department of mental health. Too much conversation around serious mental illness which is critically important to me. And not enough around cognitive behavioral therapy which is necessary and critical. Especially during this particular time.

>> I would like to respond more as a clin in addition and I had clinic this morning at Martin Luther King and I see individuals all of the time come in with depression, anxiety.

And it is funded not as part of the mental health system. But as part of the managed care. Physical health side it comes to that. I think there is a lot of opportunity county wide to train providers and I was trained r fortunately in my residency program how to initiate antidepressants and anxiety medications and the power of cognitive behavioral therapies and other therapies and spent a lot of time convincing folks beyond the stigma to take advantage of the resources and I think there is a limitation of resources and all of the stigma around it and it is a challenge that needs to be address and had I think in the carceral setting and I cannot speak specifically I have not worked in our jails but those types of services are available and that treatment is available and how much it is taking up I don't know the details and I think there is opportunities there and I think there is a different in terms of how we move people out with those mild and moderate and those with serious mental illness. If you are incompetent to stand trial. ODR moves a lot of those out and there are legal mechanisms to do that and mild to moderate is different and that is just a consideration. But I think you are right. The majority of people don't have serious mental illness they have mild to moderate if you look at society. Some people say one and duo. We need to figure that out for sure.

>> VERONICA LEWIS: That is why it is important. Listening sessions is not going to accomplish it. To think strategically with the law enforcement partners about path ways the to accomplish that. I am not naive and I don't think it can happen by the end of the calendar year and I think we have not had the conversations because there is a heavy focus on the population that needs to be freed quickly at the same time there is all of the other folks and I think that is important to have the community be a part of the strategy and have them for some folks at the table as well and I want to say the last thing. When we have a conversation about process and this may be controversial and I will not go into too much detail it is mien understanding that some of the money that is going towards

CFCI ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING

CAPTIONED BY TOTAL RECALL, www.yourcaptioner.com

this, some of the services that the funding is going to pay for can be paid for through

MHSA and when we talk about process and we won't get into the dynamics between the

health agency and the county. It is a factor. But I will say is in year one the report talks

about making sure we are maximizing other leverage opportunities and I know not all of it.

But I know for a fact some of it. I want to have a conversation. That is the other piece in

terms of the accountability that the county k holds the county too not spend the dollars on

things that have other resources and that is part of what is happening with this shift and I

will not go into great detail and I got. There is a, in the scarcity model. If there are any

dollars that can be used to do something else because there is another resource that is

what we should be doing and I want to have the conversation when we talk about process

as well and I am troubled about this part of the shift.

>> DEREK STEELE: Yeah. I appreciate everyone for the conversation and this is

good. I hope not only just, the cluster meeting was with the justice deputies and I know

many said they were going to be in the meeting today and hopefully they listen again on

the back end and you hear what is said here it is hard to be able the to get that in two

minutes on Wednesday it was not, I had the to do in public comment and a lot of frustration

and a lot of, exactly. That is a good question. That is a good point. I want to move and I

want to go to the, say it again?

>> I am listening to everything and not speaking too much on one subject and I

need to be fully aware of the subject to speak this deeply. I did hear Reba said that group

needs to come here and I want to say I have seen powerful things happen when a group

comes to speak. Maybe that is something that needs to be seen. Might move.

>> DEREK STEELE: For sure. Yes please.

>> I want to make the suggestion when we talk about things like CBT, we include trauma focused and the trauma is present and people don't meet a mental health diagnosis that is something that needs addressed.

>> DEREK STEELE: For sure. I want to move to the meeting schedule. I want to move to item eight before we come back to item six. I want to end on a high note and I want to make sure we don't miss that and looking at the clock too.

Look at the last page of the packet there is a schedule and we have come to the end of our quarter. The question is how we want to actually approach the rest of the year and now there is also the question that, member so to raise about what does the fall look like for us? You know. Is there another round we are doing as far as allocating funds or is it the unspent dollars and you know having a process for the reallocation of funds? In the meeting with the, um, with the 118 orgs. JCOD is talking about the timeline for the second and third tranches of dollars going out the door and that is being done by October, November. Having all dollars? Is that the time line? I know tranche two is happening this summer and three is suppose today happen --

- >> By the fall.
- >> DEREK STEELE: At the end of the year there is conversation about what is spent and unspent and what we want to do.
 - >> I will say tranche three is more realistic to look for the winter.
- >> DEREK STEELE: Okay. So, there is the question on the table where are we budget, what do we need to do to think about what is year 4, 5, what are we doing? To help us make a decision on what we want to do for our meeting schedule too. What are we meeting for and what is included in that.
- >> Well, you know, there is definitely additional input we need to get from the budget on exactly how the numbers are going to work and how when it would be appropriate to

CFCI ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING 6/15/2023

CAPTIONED BY TOTAL RECALL, www.yourcaptioner.com

look at potentially with the year four spending plan. 2 and 3 need to be disburse and had implemented and it is separated apart from your process in year four and the current suggestion is in the meanwhile the to look at in addition to the oversight and in addition to getting updates on year two disbursement and the improvements you have discussed previously and defining how. What type of data you want to see and how you think programs should be evaluated.

I know we also talked about and think came up with the amity conversation as far as the beds as trying to determine how to best strategically plan for some of the organization already involve and had how to best position without the county and make sure that the programs that are being funded are addressing the issues around the county that are pertinent. I think it is more of a time. It is an opportunity to be proactive and not reactive. And then also do some of the oversight. Up until the point that you guys until we are more informed on the year four process.

- >> DEREK STEELE: Do we have a time gauge? Are we looking to wait until after this year budget process to know what is up with year four or how does that work?
 - >> As far as this upcoming? Yeah, we are after that. That we would know.
 - >> DEREK STEELE: That we know what is next.
- >> That is where and I can't speak for CEO budget but that is the current focus for them now. That is the current focus. Go ahead?
- >> I think this is something if the CEO budget is coming back and you requested to come back and speak to the committee we talk to them about what the process looks like for moving on and I think what Miles said the committee is busy in coming up with the spending plan recommendations this could be a time for the committee to think about the audit process and going to the discussion about the jail closure and implementation team

funds and I think developing something for the committee and sharing that and publicly coming up with a plan that the committee wants to adopt moving forward.

>> DEREK STEELE: Thoughts and questions? This conversation is being had for clarification. If we are thinking about what we need to do in the calendar. Right? How do all of the things that we are responsible for, if it is processing and doing that work. Keeping account to the dollars and see where they are going. That is part of the process and we want to make sure we are thinking about that to come up with a game plan.

>> Not to be confused with what we are talking about auditing those who are funded. Supervisory district one would like to make a presentation to the committee for an offsite since we talked to miles b about changing the location of inviting folks to LA general to host a meeting there. We are talking about the different care models and particularly for the vulnerable populations and so much of our folks who do not have nowhere to go end up in the emergency room at general hospital and the idea is to have you come and visit some of the transitions of care models. Our restorative care village and sort of the future of health care and community health. Supervisor SALICE calls supervisor concept. And ewe have the capacity to host a meeting there. And we could do the first hour and a half before the meeting do rotating tours of different areas so you have a sense of what our operation looks like at a central hub of the county. Near skid row and just with all of the need that is our communities have. And go into a meeting. We start the meeting at 4 o'clock and we can do in July and we can do in August and just an invitation. And because I feel like oftentimes in these settings we throw a lot of terminology around and I think it is helpful to see physically what is out there and how we are supporting ask and specifically in the different stations that we are visiting talk to clinicians and partners that are doing the work of supporting folks that -- visiting the recuperative care center and to me knowing there is a safe place for people to go who need wound care and don't have to

CFCI ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING 6/15/2023

CAPTIONED BY TOTAL RECALL, www.yourcaptioner.com

go back on the street and end up back in the emergency room or back in jail and having to deal with those wounds and things like that. I think it is important we see it. You ask questions for future conversations and just an idea.

So, I don't know chair steel how you want to talk that request on and I was thinking if this is a time where we are waiting for budget it is probably a good time to add some learning and p opportunity.

>> DEREK STEELE: I like it. The other part is there is an um, we are suggesting for the summer months. You know we can go hard. I don't know about you all. Thank you. I know there is a back-to-back to back. Let's go hard. And we really been putting a lot of effort into it. To slow the cadence during the summer to once a month. Come back to every other month starting in the fall. See what is proposed here that you all agree with and we can add special meetings in between as needed of course and more than that just have it be the cadence.

>> Also, one point and we have been informed bid the department of regional planning that has been kind to allow us to use this room. We may lose the room. This room is going to be remodeled I believe in the fall. We are not sure yet. I believe as of now we have through August. And we will be potentially looking for other locations to host meetings potentially in the fall. We don't know for sure when we are going to lose this room just something else to consider.

>> DEREK STEELE: Noted. Hold on really quick I will come around and I will get Joey.

>> JOEY WILLIAMS: I recommend December 21st. Cancelling that one. It is close to the holiday and we do special meetings in late March and April. Be mindful the badgers have opening day on Thursday. Reschedule or I probably won't be here.

>> Share you have a hand raided in the overflow room.

>> DEREK STEELE: Thank you for the or flow room. I will go around. Michelle and Reba. I said I am coming around the bend.

>> MICHELLE FUENTES-MIRANDA: Some things to incorporate while we wait to find out what budget we are working with. To have whether in subcommittees to look at outreach to the supervisory districts that haven't had in-person in place events. I think there is a lot of organizations that we have already been working with through CFCI to engage them in hosting pop up outreach engagement and all of the wonderful stuff and other thing that is important to bring into the space is updates and we all sit in different spaces and different circles and to be able to come in and say the state of California. The governor is looking at closing four prisons. County. Two juvenile halls and having a pulse on what is happening and that can impact where we want to prioritize funding. So, um, yeah, just having a space where we can provide updates for the community and I also give space for the community to be able to jump on and share what they are seeing or hearing.

>> DEREK STEELE: I like that. Particularly from the county departments. You got a lot going on we don't talk about in here and you do a lot of listening in here and I appreciate that. I love today we got more engagement and working with each other and we would love to learn more and have the knowledge of the influence. Or be an influence to the body of work in the decision making as well.

Again, now, knowing what some of the energy is on the ODR side. You know? It helps. And then bring mild to moderate conversation to the table and then even the specificity on what type of CBT? All of that become as really important aspect of us deciding this is what we want to do. And I am with that and I am going to go to the back to the overflow room. Who is in the overflow room?

CFCI ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING

CAPTIONED BY TOTAL RECALL, www.yourcaptioner.com

>> I apologize for not getting a hand up in time I want to clarify it was mentioned

previously the interstate funds could be used or may be able the to be used for acute beds

and you can't use funds for those types of beds and p I want to clarify that.

>> VERONICA LEWIS: When it is brought back, I am aware. There are other pieces

to it that could be funded. It is too late. But I want to you lift up as we talk about process.

I am getting text too. Sub-acute and acute. There are other pieces that could be paid for.

T and it is too late and when we talk about process, we need to hold the county accountable

for maximizing other options and that is the point I am raising.

>> DEREK STEELE: We have the opportunity to take action on the meeting schedule

and I heard the scratch of December 21st for the holiday. I got that. Any other amendments

to the schedule?

>> I don't know if it is possible. I would say fewer meetings and longer times. The

conflicts are getting virtual. I could do it. Jump from one meeting to next. In-person it is

much tougher.

>> DEREK STEELE: Thoughts on this?

>> VERONICA LEWIS: I don't know that we need to meet two times month. Again, I

would like to understand the process by which we are weighing into the existing funding

this that is being put out there. Twice a month seems like a lot. Except for maybe during

the season where we are making the decisions. It depends on the flow and Miles talked

about the data. And I would like the to understand what the plan is. I don't know if we

have to meet twice a month throughout the entire year and I don't know just to be cautious.

>> DEREK STEELE: I feel you on that. Can I give a thought to that? So, we have

once a month on the calendar with the option to add special meetings as needed or a

secondary meeting during the month. Okay. I I also want to acknowledge the idea of

CFCI ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING

CAPTIONED BY TOTAL RECALL, www.yourcaptioner.com

having longer meetings to make sure we can capture everything and I am finding it

increasingly difficult to capture everything in two meetings. Yeah.

>> How long is the space available? I think we have to know the availability of the

space and we do have we have our (Indistinct).

>> How long can we stay for a night? I need to confirm that. We have been here

for three hours before or approached it.

>> DEREK STEELE: 3:30 to 6:30?

>> That is a different thing as far as moving up. I was saying staying later might be

available.

>> DEREK STEELE: I am not trying dog that to the folks and I know you got to get

home. We are not getting no food. Can we look into it?

>> Yeah.

>> I want to make another recommendation and I agree unless it is necessary, we

don't have to meet every month and I also want to remind, twice a month. That we don't

have to meet twice a month but meet once a month and we can still use the special

meetings if need be that we would call for that to be special.

>> You have to remember for special meetings that aren't, that could be a challenge

to having the location if we are calling meetings last minute. I am not saying I disagree I

am saying there is other factors to consider.

>> What if we left and approved these dates minus the 21st of December and we

cancelled as needed. That way it is on the book and month to month we know we are

cancelling.

>> DEREK STEELE: I am not opposing to that.

- >> VERONICA LEWIS: You need to do this because the last meeting schedule approved went through today. Is it possible given the considerations and variations although I think you should have a pool of location to pool from not just one and many have offered our spaces as well. And I want to lift that up. Can we approve July 20th and come back to this when JCOD can look at all of the things they want t to look at? I think that is the reason you are try to go have a vote. Just a suggestion.
 - >> You want to add August 17th as well?
- >> DEREK STEELE: Yeah, add the two and we will come back to the conversation.

 I am thinking of the meeting of bringing budget back I don't want to wait until July 20th to bring them back to the conversation. That is all I have at least. I am saying move it up.

 Okay we will leave it. Yes. Can I get a motion?
 - >> I motion to approve the, our meeting schedule.
- >> DEREK STEELE: Tell me how you feel about this. You can make your own motion. I am sorry. Make your motion. Let's come back and have a more robust. There are different iterations.
- >> I make a motion we table this until next month and have a robust discussion can I get a second? And meet on July the 20th.
 - >> I second it.
- >> DEREK STEELE: Moved and seconded. To table this to July 20th meeting. Any amendments or any additional thoughts? Any unreadiness? Okay. Let's go to public comment. We make this general public comment as well. Not yet. Yes. Public comment. Yes. Let's do that. One minute.
- >> As reminder the public comment period is one minute per person to raise your hand telephone users dial star nine computer users scroll to reaction and smart phone

users scroll too more. We will call in order the hand is raised. Starting in the room. Moving to online. Do I see any hands? Hector goes ahead.

>> Good evening. Hector. Happy pride. Consumer of Los Angeles County department of mental health and want to offer need building. Which is a shared agency building. Since I joined this particular space one of the sad things that never materialized was the inclusion of people with disabilities. And particularly individuals with severe chronic severe mental illness. Mild and moderate. This space oftentimes is challenging for a variety of reasons and even those that got on got remove and had replace and had that is great opportunity for you to engage that community and get to know the complex and huge MSA budget that the discussions that take place in those places. As you know that is where the money comes and decisions are made and I invite you and hope you continue to do the work that you do.

>> Thank you, MYA HEND RIX?

>> Hi. Committee members. I am a resident of supervisory district two and reimagine LA and I want to say I appreciate this conversation and hearing member Stevens comments about the budget training hosted by reimagine LA and I wonder if it is poll for the committee to partner with community-based organizations that host events similar to this to educate advisory body members and committee members on budget advocacy and how to get involved and had maybe include the event is the newsletter. The more people we can get to apply pressure on the board of supervisors recommended budget the more of the chance we have to receive funding for CFCI and community members and with that said I would have to include that the newsletters would have to come out in enough time for community members to make arrangements to attend the meetings as materials for this meeting are never readily available in enough time to prepare. Thank you.

>> Thank you. Seeing no more hands back to you chair.

CFCI ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING 6/15/2023

CAPTIONED BY TOTAL RECALL, www.yourcaptioner.com

>> If we are going forward with the motion. A friendly amendment to request the offsite meeting at LA general to be in August. If that is amenable to you.

- >> I accept.
- >> DEREK STEELE: The person who seconded?
- >> We meet here in July and general hospital on the 17th? That is the motion we are voted on? Okay.
- >> DEREK STEELE: There is a motion on the floor to table the conversation about the approval of the meeting dates to the July 17th, July 20th meeting. With also adding the August 17th meeting as an offset at general hospital. Correct? Let's go to the vote.
 - >> I.
 - >> Member COTRERAS.
 - >> I.
 - >> Member Castillo.
 - >> I.
 - >> Member Cronk.
 - >> I.
 - >> Member Early.
 - >> I.
 - >> Member Tsai.
 - >> I.
 - >> Member Miranda.
 - >> I.
 - >> Member Hong.
 - >> I.
 - >> Member Lewis.

>> I.

>> Member Moore White.
>> I.
>> Member Schoonover.
>> I.
>> Member Nomachi.
>> I.
>> Member Soto.
>> I.
>> Chair Steele.
>> I.
>> Member Stevens.
>> I.
>> Member Williams.
>> I.
>> Member Kibby.
>> I.
>> Did I miss anybody? All right. We have 17 yes and 0 no and 0 abstain. It passes
and back to you chair.
>> DEREK STEELE: Thank you and in the last agenda item with the 6-1 recipien
luncheon. Can we go over that quickly? Is that cool?
>> For those who don't know we hosted add, JCOD hosted along with amity and
advisory committee members we hosted a luncheon to celebrate the recipients of the yea
one grants through the third-party administrator amity and want today share a video and

pictures and it was a great event and want to give a shout out to the members who were

CFCI ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING 6/15/2023

CAPTIONED BY TOTAL RECALL, www.yourcaptioner.com

able the to attend. Member Castillo. And Stevens. FUENTES. Williams and chair steel showed up to support. We had about 300 people and almost all of the 118 grantees. It was a great event and got to hear speeches from a few. A couple of moving speeches and we want to share with you and close the meeting on a high note and I don't know if you have anything to say or not, I will ask Angela to start the presentation. Yeah, we can turn the lights can down that is going the make you feel better? Excite you? Okay.

>> DEREK STEELE: Go for it. You have to share your sound. Pause it really quick.

Un-share your screen and re-share your screen and shake sure you check the share sound box in the lower left-hand corner.

>> We are here today to celebrate the recipients of the first CFCI care grants. We have 118 organizations throughout Los Angeles County represented here today and today we learn how the care grants from Los Angeles County effect and help them do the great work they are doing and we are exciting to see what is going to happen thank you for joining on this journey.

(Video playing).

>> We are trying to go make sure people have free thriving and healthy lives and that is what care first works upon and let's do the work.

>> DEREK STEELE: Look at that. Yeah. It was a good time. Like I said it was a sight the to see for all of the people who were there. People were excited about it too. You know? That was the part that I think really was inspiring and then the messages from the different folks who got a chance to speak on behalf of the organizations and the awardees and what these dollars meant for them being able to elevate their game from people being able to finally hire somebody on and pay themselves for the work they are doing and

expand in the same way to buildings being built and bringing that online. These dollars are going a long way to make an impact and this is year one and we haven't gotten into what year 2 and 3 are going to look like and I am excited about this and I am really grateful JCOD took the time to take a moment to celebrate the win and these folks and give a space to talk about it was cool. And for (Indistinct) if you want to speak that is cool too.

>> Being there to see and it smell and it taste it and experience the joy and appreciation from the awardees was amazing lng and it was an opportunity to get to meet each other better and know each other better and I took the time to go around the tables and introduce myself the to those who had the big envelopes it was a giveaway they were an awardee.

To really hear and see the excitement and the thankfulness they showed and expressed and had then there were a, there was a segment and I think it may have been five awardees that got up and spoke and it was really, I mean it pulled at your heart string and it sold me on why we are here. And our true purpose of being in this space and why the dollars are critically important and it helps me see why it am not enough and we need a hundred plus. Because there is so much work people want to do and are doing and the other is the door was open and many opened the doorsteps and said come on in and see what we are doing and experience what we are doing and share what we are doing and I saw a missed opportunity and make not necessarily a missed opportunity but in that space and moment I saw an opportunity for a collective impact because there is so many organization that entities and agencies that were there from the same areas and --