

CFCI ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING
2/16/2023
CAPTIONED BY TOTAL RECALL, www.yourcaptioner.com

4:00PM

CHAIR STEELE: Thank you for joining today. This is a very important day today. Very important day of the process that we have in front of us. Can we read the disclosures.

>>: This begins the reading of the disclosures. You consent to being recorded. This is a public meeting. Subject to the brown act. Since people on the telephone can't see the chat, it is limited to tech assistance. Please provide a comment during the public comment period. For closed captions, cart services are available.

Click on the stream text link provided in the chat after the reading of the disclosures. When accessing Zoom through a browser, scroll to reactions. You will see raise hand. When accessing Zoom, scroll to more at the bottom tab. You will see a drop-down menu.

Telephone participation. If you have difficulties, telephone dial information will be provided in the chat following the reading of the disclosures. For Spanish, click on the globe icon.

Written public comments, submit them. To be reviewed prior to the meeting, they must be in before 5:00 PM the day before. These public comments will be shared with the committee members prior to the meeting and reflected in the minutes. Written comments after five the day before through the end will be made part of the public record. Committee members may not have the opportunity to review them beforehand. This ends the reading of the disclosures.

CHAIR STEELE: Thank you very much. Let us get this done. Can we start with our land acknowledgment? I want to say that we want to start this meeting by recognizing those whose

lands we reside. They live and thrive among us. The [FOREIGN LANGUAGE]. The [FOREIGN LANGUAGE]. And the [FOREIGN LANGUAGE]. We want to lift up all of that work.

To make these decisions we are making at this moment. Can we read through the community agreements? Be respectful of the diverse voices. Remain open minded.

>>: Be mindful of the power dynamics in this space. Accordingly, prioritize and defer to community through this process.

>>: Be mindful of the diverse audience. Speak with clarity.

>>: Be collaborative.

>>: Assume best intentions.

>>: Challenge the idea.

>>: Remember why we are here. To center communities that have been most impacted by the carceral system.

>>: Defer to community.

>>: Be intentional about hearing and allowing voices to be uplifted.

>>: Let equity lead the way.

>>: Be an active participant. We are at 13.

>>: Make space for youth voices.

>>: As much as possible, allow community members to finish their sentence through and during public comment.

>>: Review community agreements before every meeting. Amend them as needed.

>>: Begin the meetings with a land acknowledgment statement recognizing the peoples on the land we know call LA county. Time for roll.

MEMBER ARMSTEAD: Present.

MEMBER CARBAJAL: Here for Member Carbajal.

MEMBER CASTILLO: Present.

>>: Member Crunk. Alternate?

MEMBER CRUNK: Present.

>>: Cyrus-Franklin? Member Earley?

MEMBER EARLEY: Present.

MEMBER FERRER: Present.

MEMBER FUENTES-MIRANDA: Present.

MEMBER GARCIA: Present.

MEMBER GHALY: Present.

>>: Contreras. Member Lewis.

MEMBER LEWIS: Present.

>>: Member Nishiyama. Member O'Brien. Member Lobianco.

MEMBER LOBIANCO: Present.

MEMBER SCHOONOVER: Present. Member Scorza.

>>: Present.

MEMBER SOTO: Present. For Member Soto.

CHAIR STEELE: Present.

>>: Member Stevens. Smith?

>>: Present.

MEMBER WILLIAMS: Present.

>>: Wong.

>>: Connie for Member Wong.

CHAIR STEELE: Thank you for that. Can we review the minutes and take appropriate action. February 2nd meeting. Item 3.

>>: I will move approval of the minutes.

CHAIR STEELE: So moved. Second?

>>: It has been moved and seconded. Anyone have additional minutes to be taken place?

>>: One correction. My name is misspelled.

CHAIR STEELE: Okay. Can we make sure we get that updated?

>>: Sure.

CHAIR STEELE: Anything else? Public comment.

>>: This commences the public comment period. If you want to provide comment, use the raise hand feature. We will call on you in the order it was raised. State your full name before beginning the comment. I will lower your hand once completed.

On the phone, star nine to raise your hand. We will say your name or last four digits. We will now start for the minutes. If anyone has a public comment, please raise your hand. Anyone, please raise your hand.

Seeing no hands, back to you.

CHAIR STEELE: Thank you very much. It has been moved to approve the minutes. Can we please take a vote.

>>: This is a vote to approve the minutes from the February 2, 2023, meeting. How do you vote?

>>: Aye.

MEMBER CASTILLO: Aye.

MEMBER CRUNK: Aye.

MEMBER EARLEY: Aye.

MEMBER FERRER: Aye.

MEMBER FUENTES-MIRANDA: Aye.

MEMBER GARCIA: Aye.

MEMBER GHALY: Aye.

MEMBER LEWIS: Aye.

MEMBER LOBIANCO: Aye.

MEMBER SCHOONOVER: Aye.

>>: Aye.

CHAIR STEELE: Aye.

MEMBER STEVENS: Aye.

>>: Aye.

MEMBER WILLIAMS: Aye.

>>: Aye.

>>: Motion passes with 17 Ayes.

STUDENT: We can get into the meat and potatoes. We have a few things to get through today. Some updates that are very important and critical that we have to share and talk through. I am excited to work through it together. We want to start with year 3's funding allocation.

There was a link to a video by way of the budget office to remind people of the process for determining the funding allocations. There hasn't been a major conversation around this outside of Member Castillo reminding us that it is fully funded.

I think we have done a great job of using the resources to do that. There has been a process for an understanding I am still processing this information too. I want to make sure you are all informed just like I am.

Feel free to help me out. I want to make sure I am staying on point. In the work the budgetary office is doing right now, there is a process we will understand how much funding is available for this year.

It could be less or more. The process to go through, which includes taking an indication of the discretionary funds, keeping in mind there are large lawsuits taking place. The county is responsible for that this year.

The change in the amount of property taxes. Inflation issues. They all have a role to play. The federal dollars for infrastructure. A whole act that has to take place the news is not bad or good. Here is some information to know.

The amount of money may change. We don't know to what tune. Finding out how much is available won't happen until later this year. Come April we will have some level of indication. We won't know for sure the amount there until closer to later on in the Summer. Midsummer to the end. That has a lot to do with our decisions.

Ever since the information was provided to me, we have been talking through the ways to approach this. I want to make sure we are having a conversation around what this means. My thinking is we have a game plan. We can move forward. With the mind set of knowing the tiers. Last year gave some guidance. It may be shocking to some.

I want to open up the floor to discuss it. Did I miss anything? This is work that the county has to go through from the budgetary office. It has implications to what we have variable. Come to the table with solutions about going about it. I want to be clear. We are here to find the best path forward.

>>: I should wait to gather my thoughts. Thank you for uplifting that we have been putting a lot of work into this space around trying to get the resources. That should be top priority. How are you caring for the constituents. It could be less than the 100 million we are assuming we have. If we look at the spirit of measure J, ten percent, that should be going up each and every year.

As budget grows, this should grow. We have to do our due diligence. For some people, it is life or death. Wanting to thank everyone plugging into this space. Thank you for showing up.

Work does not end here. Let us continue to do what we need to do to make this happen.

CHAIR STEELE: Two points. I feel you on that. My initial thought was this was to make sure regardless of what they do, the money doesn't get touched. We do work to make sure we are doing the things necessary to make sure that the community voice is heard.

I feel you on that. The work doesn't stop. It happens out there. Making sure people are taken care of as well. We have a chance to set the tone.

MEMBER LEWIS: As the person who led us through years 1 and 2, I want to make sure that you talk about what is different this year. We went through extensive conversations. There was a lot of conversation. Critical review. They need to do a full-blown analysis. Hopefully, they can be very detailed in their responses. It has to be done each year. The economy is in a different place. What is the difference? This policy, 2026. This is unless they decide to extend it. Why now will they do something different?

CHAIR STEELE: Thank you for raising that. That is what I was talking about setting the tone. More than just a conversation around the money for this year's allocation. It has a lot to have do with the future as well. The organizing effort around these ideas is getting answers to those questions. What does the future look like for CFCI?

If you are talking about this now, that says there is something more you are thinking about. We need to find out. Those questions are spot on. I want to be clear. It is not a guarantee that it is less. It may be more. We have to be prepared for both of those. Anyone else? This is the time to share where you are at. If you have some solutions in mind for what you think it should be.

Open for discussions as well.

MEMBER LEWIS: A great level of transparency is what we should be pushing for. I hope as we engage, I want them to come here with the posture of transparency. It is something I am hoping we can achieve.

CHAIR STEELE: We were trying to make sure they were here today. I thought this would be the time to explain that now. In the idea of trying to get the transparency. We want to make sure you are ready to answer the questions to understand the process fully.

>>: Good afternoon. I like to wear my trusted messenger hat. I think we have been mentioning the outreach that the community for them to be involved and have a say. I think less would be miscommunication. If we need to make changes when it comes to messaging. Just so we don't spin our wheels.

CHAIR STEELE: We have the listing sessions happening now. We have others for Saturday. This is a crucial week.

>>: We informed SLS. They are not using numbers in their presentations. They are not giving any misleading information.

>>: We have to make sure that gets to the trusted messengers as well. They are talking directly with community members. Getting them invited. Some have their own listening sessions and conversations as well. I feel you. We will need to go over this. Next week to have a constructive discussion. As you are getting updates, come talk to us. I want to make sure people have the information needed.

>>: The question we received when we spoke to you last time, we did share that information with the budget office so far. Additional questions. They are trying to get some more answers before they come to the next meeting. I think that is the first Thursday in March. It goes three times. There is a world where it may become available.

One of the recommendations may be prioritizing. You could do more than 100,000. Put them in 20 million. Put it in increments. They can add it based on the priorities of the committee. I will try to share the information as we know more.

CHAIR STEELE: Thank you. I want to go, is this the alternate for today?

>>: Byron is a trusted messenger. Member Castillo.

MEMBER CASTILLO: I have a question of clarity. When we say less money, do we mean 100 million and no additional money or less than 100 million?

>>: The money allocated. Whatever has been allocated continues. 87.6 goes forward. Second year goes forward for three years. This third is still being determined based on all the other things. I don't want to misspeak. There are a lot of things. The state has set there will be a deficit. The county may have one. The ten percent may change. There are settlements and other lawsuits. They will be here at the next meeting.

CHAIR STEELE: Anything is possible. We just don't know what it will be one way or the other. All the questions we have been asking have been towards the end. You have to tell us something. We need to make these decisions. We are engaging so many people. It is not cool.

That is March 2nd the goal is to get as much information until then. I wish I had more answers than that.

>>: For those present in year one, we have billions come through. To find out it was only 100 million at the time was soul crushing. People are feeling similar. It could be more. I can't express how important it is to know. If you want community to engage, we need to be honest. How do we move forward making sure this doesn't continue to happen?

MEMBER WILLIAMS: Thank you. From here two. It shouldn't be anything knew. The uncertainty and miscommunication made outside. We have the opportunity to put this back on the ballot. Just want to lift that up.

CHAIR STEELE: I feel that sentiment. I understand it. I want to lift up that the progress we have had in this space have been transformative in other aspects as well.

>>: We made a dollar out of \$0.15.

>>: No. It has been more than that. Let us give ourselves a little more credit. The formation of youth development. This is a part of the same continuum. I am not saying that CFCI

has been the driving factor but part of the continuum. This is an aspect to push on. How the county does its business when it comes to dollars.

There needs to be way more transparency of the dollars. Especially for the community members to say what they mean. It is not perfect. I want to say I am not a part of the conversation to throw it all out. We have space to continue to improve the process. I appreciate your point of view. I am bringing mine to it as well. Anyone else? I know we have other things.

I want folks to give their point of view. I want to do public comment on this item.

>>: We reached public comment on the item discussed. Year three funding allocation. If you would like to make comment, please raise your hand. State your name for the record. If you are on the phone, remember to dial star nine to raise your hand. Star six to unmute. How long should they go?

CHAIR STEELE: We will keep it to one minute. There will be public comment at the end for general comment on all items as well if you want to continue there, you can.

>>: Got it. Public comment. One minute per comment. Raise your hand if you would like to make a comment. Star nine to raise your hand. State your name for the record. Starting with Laura.

>>: I live in district two. I wanted to express my outrage at the concept that the funding allocations that this body would be making recommendations about who you would be reduced. The community has fought for years. Now to learn about a reduction is an insult. It will have really harmful material impacts on the communities. We can't be deciding what to cut.

We need more money. To learn that we may receive a reduction is so troubling and calls into question what we are even doing here. How could the board think this would be reasonable? It is absolutely not. We will continue to demand the cash.

CHAIR STEELE: Thank you.

>>: Deputy director. This news is unacceptable. It has already been named. You can't do your job unless the parameters are more clear. We can't stand for abandonment. LA county is one of the most dynamic economies in the world. High tech industry, creative economies. Our state does face a budget deficit this year. This short fall can't be an excuse. In moments of economic challenges, it is more vital than ever.

We need to evaluate if JCOD is a part of this continuum. There are a lot of unanswered questions.

CHAIR STEELE: Thank you. Next is Byron.

>>: Good afternoon. Resident of two. Trusted messenger. Not with holding, with holding the amount is not giving clear information. The county has set aside 100 million. We should continue that. Part of the CRS. Part of the funding that needs to be allocated. We have done a lot of the work. That are not just extracted. They include our voices. I want to say the departments continue to use the ten percent language.

For all the work that had been done to align it with the recommended budgets. Now for that amount to change, undoing all this work. Continuing to be part of this

CHAIR STEELE: Evett.

>>: Good afternoon. Executive director. I see several representatives from county board offices listening. I want to direct my message to them. In moments, social services, health care are typically the first things cut. If we are looking at a deficit, we should look at cutting the spending going to the probation. Member Armstead mentioned settlements. The biggest that LA faces are from these corrupt departments that are taking dollars that could be used to help support the efforts under way through ATI.

That is the space that must be maintained.

>>: Do we have anyone else that would like to make a comment? Any additional comments? Raise your hand. Back to you.

CHAIR STEELE: The work continues. You can believe that. This is the start of a conversation. Protection of the funds, if not adding more. You have my commitment to push for that angle. Moving onto the next Item 6. Reviewing the summary of submitted recommendation forms.

>>: SLS is not on this call. Can you bring up that document please? Here is the full list of concept recommendations we received for year three funding. You see here, we have an ID number. Project name. Short summary. Links to the full recommendations here. If you can scroll to the last place. I want to provide some highlights.

These will form the foundation of the year three spending plan.

>>: Can you Zoom in a little bit?

CHAIR STEELE: Can you scroll up? 145 was the final number. Zoom in a tad. Thank you. You will see here is a breakdown of the recommendations we received. As you can note, 51 in the area of youth development. Requesting over \$156 million. 29 recommendations for under 37 million. Job training and employment. 17 recommendations. 14 for over 6 million. Restorative justice. This includes one project where it was a billion dollars. That pushed this amount up. That is 14 recommendations submitted in this area for rental assistance. Housing vouchers in support of housing service. 11 million. Seven recommendations. Nine diversion and reentry. Access to funding for small minority-owned businesses. Three for 7.6 million. One for 1.25 million. Housing, 800,000. I have to apologize. We are missing a number on that page.

A total of \$1.26 billion. These are the recommendations to be put in the survey which has been launched. There is a link in newsletter. We will make sure we put the link in the chat. You can find the survey that way. These are the recommendations. Make sure you complete the survey. That concludes this presentation.

>>: Continuation of the conversation this is not just an indication of the need. Also a labor of love to hone in on the needs. What concepts we need to solve some of the ills that need

to be addressed. The amount of funds needed. \$100 million is a drop in the bucket to what is being identified here. I want to link up the trusted messengers to get these recommendations.

142, there is a lot of different direction we will open up the floor for anyone that has questions. Thoughts?

>>: I have a couple. Definitely a labor of love. I sat down and (inaudible) the mother who had these great ideas. That have where the work is out. The power and solutions that come from those in the community. Less money, we should invest more in the community. As was lifted up, the places where the budget is going. Let us not get mad at each other.

>>: You got a lot of knowledge on that one. Anyone else? Thoughts? Those wings look good. There is a lot we will have to work through. That is the nature of the next part of the agenda. Talking about our spending plan. The process of which we will go through to get there. We have some hard decisions to make. I want to share a little bit of how they may be a little different.

MEMBER STEVENS: I wanted to be clear about what is possible. When will we know? It seems like it is not solid.

CHAIR STEELE: Based off what we know so far, since it was brought to the attention of the leadership, come around the time for the recommendations for the budget, late April, there will be a first nod at how much will be available. Through the budgetary process that the county has, as they get through the secondary and the third part of the budgetary process towards supplemental, more resources become available.

more resources sometimes come available and sometimes they don't. They don't know a hard number of what is available until mid to late summer. For sure. What we are trying to do and the conversation we had so far is press the BUDGETARY office to get information to us way sooner than that. Not only because, you know, at the end of the day it is the right thing to do so we can make the right decisions.

So we can know what we are advocating for as well. Reba you brought up a couple of times how we need a conversation with them for what is next with CFCI. This is an on going discussion and now even more reason to have the meetings with our leaders to make sure the needs that need to be with address and this space can be addressed.

>> REBA: I want to say one thing. Right now LA county is in a state of emergency. The city of Los Angeles and cities around us declare a state of emergency and I don't know what that looks like to you all but what it looks like to me is an opportunity and it also says community involvement is critical in order for our new mayor as well as the board of supervisors to meet the goals in which they have. But how do you do that? You do it by way of what we are doing here and now and offering the community an opportunity.

I will say this it is not about people being unhoused. It is the intersections that we touch that are unhoused as to why we need not only more housing but we need services in our community and anyone listening in this space right now. By way of the county making decisions. I would certainly hope that you are advocating with us and for us as well as the broader community and recognizing what climate we are in and what is going on around us. We don't have a role to sour the hearts and minds of the broader community by shortening something. When we do that we are saying you don't want our help or our support. Food for thought and think about what we are doing and how we are treating the community.

>> DEREK: Perfectly teed up the next part of the agenda today. I will share my screen on this.

What does community engagement look like and we are going to get to a point to make a discussion at this part of the discussion around what our process will be for identifying and allocating funds for this year and I want to go back a little bit and some you may remember seeing from a previous presentation from SLS. When we talk about the engagement process from year two. Right? There was a lot of learnings from year one. Year two we added the community recommendations forms. And we also had the community survey that was add and had listening session that were added right?

Those assets were brought to the table we wanted to make sure that the voice of those who are most impacted can be lifted up as we deliberate on what the funds are going to be as far as allocations are concerned.

Then we take that information and allocated the funding and got community feedback by way of additional listening sessions. So they can analyze how we allocated those dollars and then based on b that feedback we made some adjustments and submitted the funding allocation recommendations to ATI. Go ahead Bob.

>> ROBERT: I am going to throw out an idea. Having been through this since the beginning and now we are facing a year where perhaps it is a little more challenging figuring out the money we are going to have for the allocation. And I understand everybody is concerned about the money and why they are upset and everything. I wonder if a way to approach this while still advocating for more money is that we assign percentages to our priority instead of dollars in the initial stage. And we go from there.

>> DEREK: I am going to run through this. And these types of ideas I definitely want to make sure we are mulling through together to come up with a solid game plan and actually approving the game plan moving forward. I am not opposed today the idea of that and I would love to hear more about it. About the difference at least in your eyes that can bring as far as how we can allocate these resources. I will be quick.

One of the aspects in the year two process is that there was also data that was brought to the table. Out of the survey we were able to see what the needs identified by the community were versus what we allocated to those spaces. Right? At the end of the day largest gap can be seen in youth development and community based resources. Those are top two and add job training employment and you start to look at the amount of money we allocated we put a significant amount of funds in youth development and when you match that up against what the community is saying what the needs were and there is still a deficit in how we are making sure young folk aren't care of and as well as how we deal with community health. And if you think what was happening at the time. COVID is and still is. It had a different hold on the hearts and minds of people and as they were filling surveys those had a lot to do with it as well. Beyond that and hearing that information as, in our deliberative process help us to determine how we shape and move dollars. Right?

With that being said when we talk about the year three methodology of outreach and engagement. It looks like the community recommendation forms are adding -- having technical assistance so that the community members can get through the process in a way that makes sense as they are giving their recommendations. The survey is more focused on recommendation prioritization. The survey that is out is that community members have access to that we review and the last meeting is having community members not only start off by recommendations to us

and in the large r sense giving their voice to what the priority areas are and priority concepts need to be as far as what the needs are in the community are concerned. Right? And again that came with robust support and outreach and conversations segment from our trusted messengers and (Indistinct) happening now.

There is the live engagement process we will have with the advisory committee as we go through our deliberation. Trusted messengers will make sure folks are come to go the space to be part of the conversation and we will do polling in between meetings to make sure the difficult decisions we need to make can be engaged with by the community as well to help make decisions together.

We have create add space where we are being led with the voices and the lived experience of community members as we make these decisions about how the funds are going to be allocated.

With that said what I am bringing to the table. You know. Just because of what we got from the concept of recommendations so far. When you make the comparison. 51 and 29. You know of all, out of the 142 that were put together. Youth development and community based services still comes up as the top two recommended concepts as far as concepts are concerned they are top two. Right?

So I you am saying this to say now we have a process where the community voice can help shape the direction. How are we going to do that?

In March when we are making the deliberation and this is the part I want your input onto shape and make sure it makes senses and we will vote on what we come up with. As a starting place for week one which is 3\16 use the data and community voice as well as the communities prioritization through the survey and also seen an analysis of the gaps as far as the funding is concerned and matching those things together to come up with a hierarchy of the areas of focus

for year three and leave with homework to study data from survey and listening session results when we come back together on 3/23 we can hear the concepts using the survey and listening data as a starting place and also fill those gaps that, I know the information we will get from then community members are not the end all be all. We have a reason why we are here in this space too for the communities that we are representing and we want to make sure we round out the areas that may have been missed based off of the starting place and foundation we get from the community voice mechanisms we created for ourselves and once we have the tearing of the concepts and high risk areas of focus we will start to adjust the funds and Bob your idea here is percentage verses dollars I think we can have the consideration to figure out what is the better way to go. Based on the funds available we can start to figure what goals can be achieved with the amount of concepts that we can support and fund.

Judge armstead also came up and kind of dropped a bread crumb as well as to without knowing what the number is. Do we have pots, dollars, based on priority levels so that if dollars don't lock themselves along the way we know which ones we can add to the pot to be able to make sure the funding is there. That is another direction we can go. During the week of March 30th we can have the conversation about how we want to narrow down and focus in on the adjustment of the funds and 4 and 5 which is April 6th to the 13th we continue that process that we started in year three until we get to the point of approving the spending plan itself. Right?

This is the process that I am kind of bringing to the table and it is not the end all be all you I want to bring it up, into this space to deliberate together about the best path forward. Any thoughts? Any you ideas? Any questions about what I am bringing to the table? Member Lewis?

>> VERONICA: Thank you for getting us ready of how to make decisions in advance. (Indistinct) I think it is helpful. Can you conceptually understand what you are saying but can you

talk more about what the actual activities would look like in the given weeks as you are I thinking about it? I am not completely clear. Obviously there is categories that were not necessarily funded as much. Housing was the primary last year and youth is always the focus but never the majority of the funding and there is the actual recommendations. Community members nothing we had the ability to do before. I would saw a little more if you know and if you don't know that is okay too what the actual activities look like. Walk me through that because I am unclear.

>> DEREK: Thank you for asking. In week one I am, I just want to be clear b about this. Saying that the starting place for us and the foundation is the community voice on this. So, you are right. We have it in the (Indistinct). Had a priority set by community members to let us know where we should be spending money and we do have that this year. The results from the survey as well as the listening sessions can be a strong foundation of what needs are community based and had what community members are saying and starting there we can review this that data. Along with understanding what the gaps from previous funding years can be so the activity we are doing during the first week is take an analysis of both of those dynamics and discussing with each other and voting and coming on -- coming together around the idea of what areas of focus we will be funding. Why is that important?

Using that information and having the community voice b a part of it and selecting the yar area of focus will pare down the concepts with care funding. There is 142 in total if the community has decide and had I guess this is a question I should raise to you all. If we have decide in that process we are going to take the top three areas of focus to say the least. Right? Based on the data we were provided we can move from 140 to say being the top 50 and top 60 of them. Based on the amount that are in the areas. The whole first week is about how to move from 142 to a

lower number and that is why the homework is studying the data and also studying the concepts that are in the area of focus. Go ahead.

>> VERONICA: So what if the scoring of the recommendations from the community, the community at large is able to score the top three categories they are scoring recommendations and what if the scoring does not neatly fit within 3 to 4 categories as you are talking about. And literally you can still possibly look at the threshold. 80 percent of the people said we are looking at things or 75 percent of the people said are top priority what if the scoring of the recommendations don't fit in the categories you are talking about and what is that activity. Those are two different things. Categories versus asking the community and tell us about the specific concepts is different than anything we have done before and if those don't neatly fit in the category what is the strategy?

>> DEREK: The way the survey is set up. The first thing the community members did is identify the areas of focus they want to see funding and we have access to both parts of the data. Not only -- the prioritization that the community members are going through now with the survey are based on the categories they see they want to see funding happening in. Plus a randomized third option and for the most part we are going to know what areas of focus the community wants us to look at.

>> VERONICA: I don't know. I love math and thinking about it part live because of how some of the categories are named. Some people, there is no linear piece of this. There is a lot of overlap in the different categories. You may disproportionately have 75 percent of the respondents pick only six of the categories. I don't think it is that simple and I would encourage you. And reason I worked with you on this as well is think some of the nuances that may not necessarily be captured if we are hinging the prompt of the initial conversation solely on categories and especially

I am concerned because they are scoring recommendations and I am unclear how that part comes into play which is the innovative thing that the committee came up with and I am not clear if you describe the categories you are describing that the true voice to the recommendations themselves is not going to be overshadowed. If I am not understanding and missing it. That is why I asked you to walk me through the activities. And doesn't have to be today I want to lift up the things that are coming to mind for me. I will be quiet now.

>> DEREK: I see that and I should say that is the reason why we have to deliberate and determine it together. Not basing solely on that information we get a chance to review it and come up with the determination of what the areas of focus will be from there. Week one is all about pairing down from 142 to whatever the next numbers is of recommendations that we are going to be looking at. Because the community members selected their top tier of, their own hierarchy of the areas of focus and once we get the data on the other side we will know what is broken down to at least from their point of view and we can fill in the gaps on the other side too. Considering what things didn't get funded the prior years and those things can be added to the mix and make the determination from there. In week two then we will look at the next set of information in these areas of focus we selected what did the people say are the top recommendations of concepts in those areas and we have access to both sets of data on this to help make sure the voice of the community is helping to lead the way in the discussions as well.

I don't know if that helps to answer the question. But that is how we are using both parts. Then scoring the recommendations. We will use that data on the other side once we pair down to what the areas of focus are. Once we have the areas of recommendations that we are lifting up and prioritizing those. If we want to put in three different buckets or something we can do that and thinking about what Judge Armstead said buckets and percentages of dollars and stuff

like that. We can tier the concepts themselves based on the data and based on our perception of the information that we have gathered and week three we will adjust then funds from there and get to adjustment. Make sense to folks?

>> BARBARA: Yeah I have a question. I am curious how the organizations that were previously funded fit into these decisions that we are making I am curious about two things. One is I would feel more comfortable if I could see what we have already funded in terms of priority areas and how much funding we gave. Because, again, it would be helpful to understand these funds not as a one year cycle but as multiple year cycles and the other is did we have access to information on how these organizations are proceeding?

Where they are in their ability to use then funds and what barriers they may have and how successful they are at meeting their own goals and would that be available to help us as well as we think about the third year. This third round of funding.

>> DEREK: The ladder is definitely a wonderful question and I am being honest I was admiring the ARDI platform they have for the -- before this conversation around not knowing how much funding we have I discussed with Dr. Scorza how having dash board for the CFCI dollars as well so we can see the picture you are talking about and trying to paint. I don't think that is off of the table but now comes to the back burner because we have to figure out what type of resources we need in order to be able to do that thing.

When you am talking about year. Sorry. Week two. That is the type of data I want to analyze in a macro sense to understand what types of organization we are going to have for the different concepts.>>: You are right. You don't want to fund similar concepts that have been funded in previous years and we have to know and see those things at the same time. Don't have

a full clear answer to that yet. But I did write that down as something to look into so we have it available to us as we are deliberating on where the funds go.

>> BARBARA: Thank you so much.

>> DEREK: Anyone else? Member Stevens?

>> REBA: I like the idea around the dash board and you mentioned it is a cost. What barriers are in play to have a dash board. I saw miles face when said it. He is like what are we talking about? Dr. Scorza is here.

>> SONGHAI: They are working on that maybe -- I think that is why you saw his face.

>> DEREK: That is perfect. Miles you talk about it.

>> We made the presentation a couple of weeks ago how we are working and moving towards having the -- boards available and we can summarize the Tennessee funding dedicate today different program areas are we going to have the information that Dr. Ferrer requested. For this year spending plan? Unfortunately not. Lots the programs are still rolling out. We may not have that level of detail quite before you guys deliberate for this year and we are working towards that and we are consistently revising our data collection and our funding to come up with dash boards and that is the goal we are working for and what Julie was presenting on a couple of weeks ago and that is already and on and in our plans and we are working on that and we can make sure we have summaries of the prior year spending plan and how the funds were allocated to different program areas within that keeping in mind that some of the program areas are understandingly broad so there are you know, several different types or iteration of programs that can fit within one program area as a side we will make sure for the next meeting there is a summary of the year one and year 2 and how the funds are allocated to different program areas.

>> DEREK: My bad you have been working on this and I knew that. My bad.

>> D'ARTAGNAN: I think that is right and miles speak to that and about some of the work we have done how the to think equity principles are included in the design of CFCI projects. There is data we are aiming the to collect and utilize to replicate the systems that have been built out given the motion that created this committee to lean on some of ARDI's tools and we are in those conversations and I think that there probably needs to be a more robust conversation about the type of data that the committee would be looking for similar to what Dr. Ferrer asked and think about how we are reporting on outcomes and we have a transparent display of data that shows the efficacy of the use of the funds and I agree with that and I think it is an effort that is underway certainly with opportunities to continue to build upon and meet the needs of the committee can outline.

>> DEREK: That is fantastic. Thank you. Anyone else? Anyone other thoughts towards this? More specifically in the process that you are outlining to you all is there any thoughts or any changes that we need to add to this? I am hearing that we want to make sure we are bringing the right type of information to these conversations and we can make appropriate decisions based on the lay of the land. Not only just what the community is saying but also dollars we have already spent or dollars that are already allocated and had what type of programs are out there and how they are doing and being able to bring all of that. Any other thoughts?

I am asking this because I want to make sure we are on the same page but this is an action item and the hope is to vote on the process so we know what we are going into doing when we get to that. Point. You know Wesley I got to call on you once at least every time man.

>> WESLEY: I am listening and I think some people been around for the entire haul and they are speaking from their experience with the whole haul I am and going to sit back when they do that. You know? Right now you in the seat and you got a plan set up. I am willing to be on

board and see how it goes and I think the main thing that everybody wants to see it work for the community. I am a math guy. If I start seeing the numbers go down on what I see in the community that is their interest if the numbers go down and that it is going to raise a flag and I will ask questions and right now I am listening and ready to get the year start and had see which way it goes. How you set the road up. And follow that and see how it comes out but I think that the people that have issues or questions about it have been here long enough to see certain things and I am going to sit back on the conversation and me I seen what happened last year and seemed it got tight for us all when it got down, we seen a hundred million is not a lot I know that. Then you say it might get less it makes the job harder and I think the community is the only people that lose. You know what I mean? People that need resources. I am on board just watching it. Taking in everything and like I said I love the great young minds and I am 50 now. I love the great young minds working together and hopefully when these minds can come together and I know you will come up with a plan ask and I hope that the powers that be allow the plan to go into effect.

>> DEREK: Thank you very much and I appreciate that. That is my OG right there man. Keep me on point. I want to come back to member schoonoover over if you don't mind the idea that you brought to the table on this. Do you want to give more context to the value that you believe the percentage verses dollars brings? We will see if he comes back.

Different question then to member Lewis's question about a threshold of sorts. Of course I, you know responded with a game plan of how we par down the amount of concepts that we are reviewing. If I hear her concern correctly it is like what if that doesn't work is what I heard right? And I wonder from you all do you think we should establish a threshold going in that we want to make sure we are capturing? You know, or are we going to look at the top? Or the top 60. Just to put a knurl to it? Or do you want to trust the process?

>> VERONICA: I am going to say I don't know that it doesn't mean you don't trust the process. I think the body, I think that further defining the process and obviously allowing for people to uplift questions about it if it doesn't make sense while we are in it. But further defining it is going to be important especially again the anxiety that some of us are feeling and community at large was feeling because of what was shared today. I think if we can make agreements on how we want to make decisions as to how it relates to allowing then community to drive this. Which is where my concept came from. Regardless of how we feel and affiliations and etc. With the exception of a few exceptions that will come up we will let the community voice lead.

With that said and I don't know if it is for SLS to be here on the second what would be helpful is to see, what is the format of how SLS is planning to present the information to us. It is still abstract for me and you are like they are going to present the percentage in terms of the categories and that is one facet and then there is a recommendation and it would be helpful if we can see what kind of information we are going to see and then I think we can say okay I understand what you are saying and this makes sense. I support create a threshold in advance if we went through all of this. To allow the community to directly score then you are we willing to fully share and share our ability to vote and how to be directly informed with what the community said. For me the only way to do that is say if there are some things and I know there are concerns about people organizing and getting people to fill out the survey and there is validity to some of the concerns.

If we did all of this and still come back and the decisions we make don't represent the scoring that the community did and that is not going to be well received since we should drill down a little further. If there is preliminary data to understand how to create more defined decision making points that would be most helpful.

I think your concept makes sense but it is so broad how it is going to help navigate and expertise and all of the other things we bring to the tables. And experiences and show up as we are in the middle of the actual decision making.

>> DEREK: I receive that. Miles something we can go over together based on what member Lewis is saying. I know the data will be ready until the following week. Are they able to come and at least frame what had can they come to frame what they will be sharing and get feedback from us to kind of narrow in what we are looking for from the data?

>> That shouldn't be a problem. SLS is not present they are doing a listening session tonight. I don't see why that would be a problem to get them to discuss the type of data that will come from the survey and what they are going to provide and I guess my concern or caveat one if you have a different vision from what you come from the survey how much time is there to make a change at this point? The survey would have been out if for two weeks by then I am not saying that is what you are looking for and I don't see a problem them coming in and presenting the information that you are going to get from the survey and putting out the to consider as well.

>> DEREK: I got you and I and guess to that end and we can talk more about this to shape it for the next meeting. To say this is what we envision coming in and talking additional feedback to see if there is added m elements that is we may be able the to draw out from the data we have.

>> If there is specific requests doesn't hurt the to ask and let's see exactly what it is and I would reach out to SLS and get them to show up and discuss what you guys will see and the type of data they plan to synthesize and provide to you guys once the survey is over and I don't see an issue with that.

>> VERONICA: We are not trying to go change the survey. Many times when SLS comes our body is like can you get this data. Let's avoid that. And allow them the to tell us what we

want to see so when they show up with the actual data they give us what we want and that is ask here.

>> DEREK: Yeah I think that is what Dr. Ferrer is saying as well and I guess even because may be some thing that is SLS had but based on the conversation you have having may be some things that Jcod can bring to the table for previous funding years to be a part of the deliberate process as well. Got it.

We will make sure that is a r part of the agenda for next go. This cool? Member schoonover over?

>> ROBERT: Yes I guess I was out of the room and can you asked me to expand?

>> DEREK: The rems that you brought forward can you expand on the value add thaw see in that recommendation?

>> ROBERT: Well we don't know what the dollar amount is that we are going to be given. We suspect it may be lower than last year from what you have said. I know how difficult it is having been here since the beginning the have come up with a specific dollar amount. I will say at first look when we assign percentages which doesn't mean we can't change it in the end but it gives a focus on where our priorities are. Okay? And we can always put the dollar amounts in later but it might save us bit of time.

>> DEREK: Received. Any feedback or thoughts on this. We will bring this part of the conversation to a close in a few. Additional thoughts on what mb schoonover over is bringing to the table? I have a couple of clarifying questions.

When you say percentages are you saying to the concept or percentages in the amount of dollars to the area of focus.

>> ROBERT: What I am saying is we have a subset of categories we have identified. We assign and I am making up a number. Assign ten percent to the first priority and then we go down the list and assign a percentage to everything. Okay? What this does the way I look at it is I it makes our job a bit easier and we can even go back to the previous year and see what the percentage would have translated to. I think it gets us a little bit ahead of the game. Especially in the year where the number we are working with real hi not clear and I want to emphasize. Intend our recommendation we can assign percentages and we can put a number to it eventually that is fine and I think it gets us further down the road. Especially in a year where you may have less dollars to work with.

>> DEREK: I got you. Follow up to the initial question are we not considering the alt of money that is requested for the concept itself. Then if we are putting percentages to the concept itself.

Every concept has an amount of money. (Indistinct).

>> ROBERT: I will say when we go through the list and figure what the priorities are and assign a percentage. Come up with a dollar amount. We should relook at everything and see if the percentages make sense.

I think it will help us to get to a real number sooner rather than later. Go ahead reb.

>> REBA: I like this and I will tell you why it allows us not to focus so much on dollars but on need. Because the percentage seems to and correct me if I'm wrong to be focused or geared more towards the need and what the community is in reference to the percentages. Verses a dollar. I think that is also a problem. When we look at dollars we are trying to add and we are trying to ensure we are reaching a certain amount and how the money is spent. Verses the need and I like

it and I might not be articulating it well I will tell you what it makes a lot of sense to me. To focus on the percentages in the beginning in the initial than to focus on dollars.

>> DEREK: Only reason I am hesitant on it. The goal is to have the funding plan submitted by end of April. Right? Understanding what judge armstead said we don't know what the final number is going to be until the supplemental time frame by the way the county does business and we have percent amongst of at what point do we identify the dollars. Not like we submit and resubmit it. Once it is submitted it is submitted.

If we had more time I can see how this part can make sense. Because the time element of this is in play too.

>> REBA: I am not hearing that is end in reference to percentages. It allows us to be more focus and had not on dollars and then add the dollars that is the way I am receiving. It allows us not to p be focused on Monday but the need and what the community is saying that is what I am saying:

>> DEREK: We can come back to this I will give to member Lewis. Schoonover. And we are request going to wrap up the conversation. Any idea of determining if we are owl v all on the same page for the deliberation process.

>> VERONICA: That is okay I'll be quiet I look at the time.

>> DEREK: Member schoonover?

>> ROBERT: I would say if we put in percentage initially. Before April they are going to have to give us some kind of number on what they think we are and we can translate into a dollar amount and see if it makes sense. The percentages may change a little bit.

>> DEREK: Member score

>> D'ARTAGNAN: I would say percentages make sense if they were not arbitrary and not based upon an artificial cut off. If you said for example we want to put 50 percent of the funds in restorative justice programs making one up and you know you are going to get a significant in programs that makes sense. I think the challenges of percentages is if you set a percentage without having the try you set those amounts you may cut off programs. If driven by outcomes you want to accomplish. For example you want to -- you want to increase the number of bets you have in a certain community and add a percent amount of the funds to match that outcome. To me that would align very well with priorities that can be set by the committee. As long as percentages I would think they make sense if you remove the arbitrariness of them and link them to outcomes.

>> DEREK: Unfortunately way set up the more and community engagement was not set up properly -- (connection issue).

>> MICHELLE: Some variables are changed with the dollar amount and they are saying they will give the dollar amount after the date we said we would have recommendations. It is, you can't. Right? I think the percentages is almost the only way we can go. So I am completely unsupportive of determining percentages.

>> DEREK: That I also would say we have to come up with a different deliberation process. The deliberation process is not based on percentages it is based on numbers. Go ahead member Lewis.

>> VERONICA: So we do packages. This committee is not submitting a spending plan. The CEO is going to lose some of the discussion to recommend specific spending plan and specific concepts and the amounts to be attached to the concepts and we will either have to lose the discussion and then hand over so the CEO office make its decisions and do more work and spend

the same amount of time we spent discussing the percentages once we know the dollar amount. Override chain (Indistinct). Preliminary dollar amount by mid-March and that is what I asked for and J cod we ask that you push for that and members of the body we ask that you contact board that appointed you to push for that we should not finalize the process without a preliminary number. Knowing that will change we need a threshold. Maybe a plan for a hundred million. Another plan 120,000,140 million we need to have a dedicated plan and push to get some kind of number by mid-March.

>> SONGHAI: One last thought about the percentages and it is an interesting concept there are three budget cycles and if there is extra money in supplemental budget and go with percentages and they find an extra 20 million you have not 20 million broken down based on percentages and I think that gives flexibility as well as a possibility or you go the other rout and put them in bucketed amounts and you go with percentages that means that every time the budget is decided that maybe there is more funds available it would be broken could be through percentage as well just a thought.

>> DEREK: I hear you and we can maybe come back. Having that part of the conversation is going to help to shape this. This is taking into the conversation how we are deliberating to get down to the percentages or dollars. Right? You know -- I get the overarching idea of doing percentages and I think there has to be a little more specificity to what the deliberation process is to be able the to get to numbers as well.

Again look at what is presented and that the not the direct that we have initially.

>> WESLEY: Just listening and looking at everything as numbers. Is it factual or opinionated or emotion? I think that is what everybody is saying. Percentages are beautiful if based on a factual percentage. Say this. There is two things that I know everybody in LA count

county is worried about. Homelessness and the youth having something to do. There are groups in here that have already for their group said this is what we are pushing for. And say there is 30 of the groups in here as opposed to the other one and we do percentages based off of a vote. And is that percentage what is most prominent in community? Where are we going to get the data to say this is the hot spot. All I am saying is we are going to run into the same type of picking no matter what we use. Does that make sense?

>> DEREK: I hear you and I agree with you. Joe if to come to you but I am try to go wrap up the meeting an as well.

>> JOEY: I was going to say I agree with Veronica Lewis.

>> DEREK: I hear you. I have the allocation deliberation process. Here is what we will do. Since it has been provided to you all. Let's sit on it and think on it and come back to the next meeting and we vote on what the process is going to be. Coming out of that so we know going into the deliberation phase which starts on March 16th we are all on the same page.

Next meeting I do believe that is March 2nd correct? Miles? Okay cool. We will table the action item on this to that point and bring it back up and where everybody is on and it discuss it and take it from there. Okay? Before we go to general public comment miles us got an announcement?

>> Yes I know this is rough with the amount of time we have left. With eat Jcod has been informed we will need to move to in-person meetings for next meeting. The if Tyson is on the call if I say something wrong please jump in. The pause that was put on going in public meetings for Brown act has been removed I believe and it is going to expire at the end of the month and we have a meeting scheduled for the second and we are looking to transition to in-person meetings and the original plan was at some point when we thought about this is have meetings in different

districts but given that we are heading towards weekly meetings and amount of time we have to prepare for this we are looking at having meetings at HOA or hall of administration in downtown and we will give you additional information on that. Please members stay tune and had keep your eyes peeled for information coming your way for some requirements that are placed on you and my understanding is you need appear in-person downtown and sorry to spring this on you with just a few minutes left to go in today meeting and you'll receive additional information on this. As far as I am informed with when moving the to an in-person meeting in the next meeting which is March 2nd and I wanted to give you guys a heads up on that and share that with you.

>> DEREK: Tyson are you there?

>> I am here.

>> DEREK: Who do we need to talk to about this?

>> The governor. Do you know Newsom? Can you give him a call? The governor emergency declaration relate today COVID ends on February 28th and that ending of the declaration ends our ability to meet like this virtually where members are on virtually. We can have virtual meetings but the members need to be in person. You are going to get a little more guidance. The executive office has issued some guidance on the transition and we are kind of putting it together in a little more plain language and I believe miles hinted it will be sent out to let you know how the few caveats there are the to it but laying out the guidelines of what the law requires.

>> DEREK: Okay. Reba and then public comment.

>> REBA: I will make this quick. It is my hope that there will be both. There will be an option. Or that there is so many meetings that you have to attend. There has to be some. How do

we come back into this? I am excited about meeting but you going to be out of town and I am planning to have my meeting out of town and still be present.

>> Yeah. There is you will be able to miss two meetings per year for sickness or travel or something. They will give more guidance but there is a way you can miss two meetings per year the rest have to be in person and you have you to publish where you are so the public can come to them and for the complaint there will be a hybrid like the board office where it is in person and virtual.

>> VERONICA: Other bodies are doing hybrid.